All parents want their children to be successful in life. But success itself is relative. For the children to be successful in their own way, parents need to give the necessary tools in life for them to be reach their goals (not the parents' goals for their children).
1. Basics and Fundamentals are more important than marks.
2. Improve creative thinking of the children. Only creative thinking will help children to solve life's problems.
3. Set good role models for the children to follow.
4. Virtues that will help the children in long term must be imbibed into them.
5. Give good guidelines for the children and ensure it is ingrained into their brains.
6. Show love and affection in a balanced way to provide them self-confidence.
7. Build trust in the children and ensure they trust the parents first for all issues, problems, etc., that they face.
8. Success in 1 step is not guarantee of life-long success. Failure in 1 step is not a life-long failure. So, marks in 10th or 12th or College is not the only criteria for success in life.
So, give "education for life", instead of "rote-learning for marks".